Image Map

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.diaryofthisgirlmegan.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, December 29, 2011

inspired

it is funny how seeing your far away friends can really put things into perspective. after seeing h and k, it made me realize 1. how much i adore/miss them, and 2. how different their lives are from mine. these girls are truly making a difference; k is a teacher in new orleans, while h rebuilds houses destroyed by katrina and coordinates volunteer projects. while i am immensely proud of these girls, and love them dearly, it made me want to try to do something different... 


volunteering is something i am incredibly passionate about and makes me feel as though i have a purpose. i hope to become more involved in my community, and to continue working with children. while i would love for my career to be something along these lines, it is not currently an option (yet). however, i have thought of a few differences i can make in my day to day living (perhaps an early new year's resolution?):

  • start walking and taking the bus more often
  • increase my current time commitment to my little buddy
  • find somewhere i can volunteer once a month on weekends (a soup kitchen, local church, etc.)
  • read more / watch tv less
  • write about something i am passionate about (other than on this little blog hehe)
  • stop wasting $$ on unnecessary items
the last (above) difference is what inspired my new challenge: thrifting... i came across a few blogs today dedicated solely to thrift store shopping (see here and here). i aspire to do this! it will significantly decrease the amount of money i waste, force me to stick to my monthly budget, and introduce me to new people and practices. i decided to begin my challenge today. while i currently own a few thrifted items, i was curious as to what else is out there. here are a few things i picked up today (all of which cost $32!):
i cannot wait to show you some of these items! 




1 comment:

  1. Three cheers for volunteering! And saving money! :)

    ReplyDelete